TLR

Broken Up Hen Pair

Pairing, Breeding, and Genetics for Your Next Champion.

Broken Up Hen Pair

Postby gd01 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:51 am

I had a pair of hens that I used to raise a couple of rounds of foster babies. I separated them and bought 2 cock birds to mate with. They both have accepted the cocks and now I need to get them in the loft. Has anyone done this and put them back in the same loft. I need to do this for convience but, I think they might go back to their old ways.
Gary
gd01

Re: Broken Up Hen Pair

Postby Clark » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:28 pm

I also broke up a pair of hens that were living an "alternative lifestyle". I separated them for 3 days and then locked each of them in nestboxes with their new male mates. Within about 10 days each laid a set of eggs.
(My nestboxes are 24" x 24" x 16" and well equipped for holding a pair until they lay.) Now everyone seems happy. The hens just say hi to each other as they pass on the way to the water fountain.
Last edited by Clark on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clark Berger
Mingo Hill Pigeon Racing Club
Allentown PA
Clark

Re: Broken Up Hen Pair

Postby raftree » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:33 pm

I have two cocks that prefer each other. I penned each of them with a hen for 3 days then locked them in nest boxes in my widowhood section and then let them out. A total of 6 days and things seemed to go just fine. Within a day the cocks were back together and in about 10 days both hens layed but with no help left the eggs. Pretty nice cocks. I'm going to race their wheels off.....gotta earn their spot somehow.
raftree

Return to Breeding Racing Pigeons